Thursday, December 9, 2010

LEGAL AUTHORITY

After many attempts over a two week span of trying to locate a lawyer to take some time to talk to me, I finally happened upon a friend I hadn’t talked to in about six months and found out that he was dating a Lawyer. This lawyer just happen to be a business lawyer and has specialized in IP cases. For the assignment I used the book for the class, Copyright & Trademark. Nolo. 11Ed., to gather information to create the questions for the final. The book states that not only does an IP Lawyer need a law degree, but they “are required to have a technical higher education degree as well as a legal background and must pass a USPTO examination in order to obtain their license” (Patent, Copyright & Trademark. Nolo. 11Ed. p104). I used the listing on their website (www.nolo.com): to find lawyers who are qualified to practice in IP law. This is where I obtained my potential contacts for this class project. I started at the end of the list and soon found out that a lot of the numbers were either out of service or were to a different business. I started to leave messages on some of the ones that went to voicemail, the offices were I actually talked to someone they told me that the lawyer would get back to me. I called about 20 lawyers, talked to 11 receptionists and received 1 return phone call.This is why i was thrilled to run into my friend and have the opportunity to talk to his girlfriend. Her name is Danielle C. Miller and she works for the law firm Sylvester & Polednak, LTD. The phone Number is (702) 952-5200. She was very friendly and helpful. We met up at a local Restaurant along with my friend Ronnie. I introduced myself and asked her a couple background questions. I thanked her for numerous times for coming out to talk to me and help with my project. I told her that she was the perfect choice because she specialized in business law. She told me that her prior law firm was copyright lawyers. She looked over my list of questions and started to give me very specific answers full of legal terms. I took notes and recorded her responses as she spoke. She told me that there were a couple of questions she would have to look up. She said she would e-mail me the answers in a couple days. I received that e-mail this morning. After hearing some of the stories of what the other students have gone through to get even 5 minutes of a lawyers time I feel very fortunate that Danielle spent a half hour with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment