Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Questions

I chose questions for my final project of the class Contracts, Negotiations and Copyrights, that have to do with intellectual property and also liability issues. The questions I have chosen pertain to interior design and also the architectural field. These questions  pertain to issues that will arise while I am working in my field. “Typically, intellectual property encompasses creative works, products, imagery, inventions, and services and is protected by patent, copyright, trademark or trade secret law” (Patent, Copyright & Trademark. Nolo. 11Ed. p4). The questions I chose  helped  me understand how to protect myself and my designs, contract and infringement issues and letters of non compete agreements. This is very important because this is how I plan on making my living.“ The commercial value of IP work comes from the ability of it’s owner to control and exploit it’s use” (c).




I picked these questions after completing the in class assignment during Week 7, also by using the www.heyheydaddio.com website to check out other students blog posts. Pulling from students questions, I created a list of my own question:

     If an interior designer specs out a specific piece of furniture or flooring, and the item injures someone. Can he or she be held liable?
   
     Are there specialized courts in the United States that hear intellectual property claims?

     Do you recommend I personally contact a company that I suspect has stolen my idea?

     Is Nevada an “employment at will” (ie. right to work) state? If so, do you agree with an employee signing a non-compete agreements?

     In design, how much of a percentage of change do two similar products have to be in order to avoid a lawsuit?

    If I propose a design for a potential client and they refuse the design but use it regardless what can I do?

   How do I best protect myself from someone else stealing my artwork/design?

  What is the first step someone should take if or when they find someone else using their intellectual property without permission?

  When is it necessary to trademark intellectual property?

  Is it better to use a template or have a lawyer draft an original contract for my design?

No comments:

Post a Comment