Thursday, October 14, 2010

Week 2 EOC: What do I think of Lawyers?

What do I think of lawyers?
                From all of my experiences with lawyers, I am not a big fan. There have been a couple of times where I had to hire a lawyer. I understand that they have to make a living but I think that a lot of them are just greedy. The media does not portray lawyers in a true and actual light. Lawyers will not take a case unless they think they will win, even if the client is right and they have the law on they’re side.
                When I had to hire a lawyer I felt like a number and not a person that they were truly interested in what I was saying or feeling about my case. I think that lawyers need some customer service skills. Even if it’s all BS I think it would change my and the public’s opinion of lawyers. In this specific case I was accused of assisting a hotel guest get a hooker. The allegations were completely false, but I was scared and I had to hire a lawyer.  My wife was pregnant with my first child and this all happened the same week of her due date. As you can imagined I was a little stressed out about the whole situation. After having my initial consultation the lawyer told me that he needed a retainer of $5000.00. He made me feel like I was not important and that he didn’t believe me. I came up with the money and gave it to him. While I was in still in the office he made a phone call to the detective. He explained that I had retained legal counsel. After talking with the detective for like 5 minutes, that was it. I never heard from the detective again. Effectively I paid $5000.00 for a phone call! That is why I hate lawyers.

No comments:

Post a Comment